Street trading licence

When will you need a Street trading licence?

Street trading is the selling, offering or exposing for sale of any item or service in the street. This includes stalls, shop-front displays, and café tables and chairs with service.

You will need a Street trading licence to trade within seven metres of any road or footway on:

  • the public highway
  • pavement
  • any other area (not within a permanently enclosed premises).

Street trading licences are issued on a discretionary basis. The success of an application can depend on the location and nearby footway widths.

Before you apply for a Street trading licence, please ensure you meet the requirements in our street trading policy.

Before you apply

To apply for a Street trading licence you need to:

Download an application

St Ann's, St George's and Greenhill Place

If you are applying for a pitch in St Ann's or St George's, please contact the shopping centre.

If you are applying for one of the pitches on St Ann's Road, please email

For applications for the Thursday market at Greenhill Place call Tudor Markets: 01384 231635.

Street trading licence fees

Our fees are reviewed each year and agreed by Cabinet. A fee of £50 will apply to any variations or cancellations of a licence.

Front of shop displays

Duration Total
26 weeks (usually applicable in undesignated streets) £312
1 year, single shop front £541
1 year, double shop front £1,082

Triple shop fronts will be triple the single shop front fee.

Stand-alone street trading licence e.g. Stalls

Duration Administration Management and enforcement Total
Up to 7 days £50 £21 £71
Up to 2 months £50 206 £256
2 to 6 months £50 £458 £508
7 to 12 months £50 £633 £683

Tables and chairs

Type of issue Total
Issue of new licence £541
Renewal of licence £541

Types of traders


A shopkeeper can trade on their own private forecourt without a licence. They cannot let out the space to another trader, unless that person has a licence.

Traditional street trading

These are for the traditional street trading pitches on the public highway: a pitch to sell fruit and vegetables or a burger van. Currently we have only a few such designated sites as these are all allocated. If they become available we will advertise them on this web page.

Shop front displays/tables and chairs

We currently licence shop front displays and table and chairs on the public highway outside a premises. This display must be a continuation of the main business of the shop and not different commodities. At least 2.5 metres of clear footpath is needed to allow street trading outside a shop. We will also consider the potential nuisance a licence may cause.

Report a suspected illegal trader

An illegal trader is someone who trades with an expired licence, on a day, time or place other than that stated on their licence.

If you suspect that unlicensed street trading is taking place, please email and include:

  • where and when it happened
  • a description of the trader
  • the goods they were selling.