Before you start any work or spend money on materials or equipment you must ask for permission and get written approval from the Council. We will not grant permission for you to buy and extend into the loft space or for ground floor extensions on our Estates. Some alterations require planning permission or building control before any work can begin.
Apply for home alterations permission
Do I have building insurance?
In most cases we arrange building insurance for your property and recover your share of the cost through your service charge. The cost is determined by the rebuild value of your property and the premium percentage agreed with the insurer. We will notify you every April of the cost of your insurance. Please note that contents cover is not included in your policy.
To make sure the policy provides the amount of cover you need please read the statement of policy cover. To read about the risks, excesses, benefits and limitations of your cover please read the Home insurance schedule.
Pay particular attention to fire safety within your home. We strongly recommend you take the following action:
- Arrange for a Gas Safe engineer to carry out an annual gas safety inspection of your home and send us the certificate. Remember to ensure it includes all of your gas appliances for example boilers, fires, hobs and ovens.
- Arrange for an electrical safety periodic inspection of your home to be carried out at least every 5 years and send us the Electrical Safety Condition Report.
- Tell us the number of smoke and heat detectors (battery operated or hard wired) you have installed in your home and their location.
If you need help with finding an approved gas contractor to carry out this work you will find a list of approved contractors on gassaferegister.co.uk. Once you have all the certificates email them to us at: email@example.com
As the freeholder of your home we will visit our properties at least once every 5 years to check;
- condition of the property
- whether the property meets health, safety and fire regulation standards
- who is occupying your home if it is sub-let
- that you are complying with the terms of the lease