Host an event in a park or open space

Event applications and licences

We know how long it can take to organise an outdoor event and that is why we have put together some basic timeframes in order for you to ensure you have allowed time for the planning and delivery of your event.

Please note that we require a minimum notice prior to the event date to be able to process your application:

  • small events 0 - 499 people: four weeks notice before the event date
  • medium events 500 - 1000 people:  eight weeks before the event date
  • large events over 1000 people: sixteen weeks before the event date.

The council will only make a provisional booking of an event at a site once an accurate and complete application is received. It should be noted however that permission to use council owned and managed land for an event does not guarantee the event will take place. Please note there may be occasions (such as national incidents) when we may need to alter or cancel your event, but will do our utmost to assist your event wherever possible.

Comments may be sought from some or all of the following teams:

  • Licensing
  • Noise
  • Environmental Health
  • Building Control
  • Planning

Harrow Council may also notify the Metropolitan Police about applications received.
The nature and content of events should reflect well on the council and local stakeholders. The council will not agree to grant permission for an event that is likely to cause offence to public taste and decency. The Corporate Director or Nominated Deputy will consider such applications on their individual merits.


A Premises Licence or Temporary Event Notice (TEN) will be required for an event that will include licensable activities. While small events may be covered by a TEN, for larger events an application for a premises licence must be made. Some of the borough’s open spaces are already licensed.

Applications can be submitted using the forms available under "Useful Documents" at EventApp

Licensed parks

The following parks have been licensed for regulated entertainment such as live music, recorded music, plays and exhibition of films between the hours of 10.00 and 22:00 each day.

  • Canons Park
  • Headstone Manor Recreation Ground
  • Pinner Memorial Park
  • Harrow Recreation Ground
  • Roxeth Recreation Ground

Conditions are attached to these licences including the requirement to produce a risk assessment.

A licence is required to stage any of the following forms of regulated entertainment:

  • A performance of a play
  • An exhibition of a film
  • Boxing or wrestling entertainment
  • A performance of live music
  • Any playing of recorded music
  • A performance of dance
  • Provision of late night refreshment (11pm-5am)
  • Sale of alcohol

For exemptions to the above please refer to the DCMS website.

Temporary Event Notices (TEN)

Small scale events for 50-200 people, including staff, at any one time and lasting for no more than 168 hours do not require a premises licence, providing that notice of the event is given to the Police and the Licensing Authority. Only the Police can object to a TEN if they believe the event is likely to undermine crime prevention. Persons wishing to hold such events must give a minimum of 10 weeks notice to the Police and the council. Applicants are strongly recommended to contact licensing officers early in the planning of such events to discuss all relevant issues.

Premises Licences (time limited)

Premises Licences apply to licensable events at which more than 200 people will be taking part in Licensable activities at any one time. Premises Licence applications are a more lengthy process than that needed for a TEN and must be made well in advance of an event. It is advised that a minimum 26 weeks notice be given should an event require a premises Licence. It is the organiser’s responsibility to ensure that sufficient time is allocated to apply for a Premises Licence in advance of the event.