Harrow's trees

Types of trees in Harrow

You will find the following trees in the streets and in parks across Harrow.

On our streets

Maples - the main variety of street trees in the borough are Maples. Maples provide a vibrant colour in the autumn and vary from small to medium sized trees

Birch - this native species mostly consists of small to medium-sized trees. It is sometimes called "The Watchful Tree" because of eye-like patterns on the bark

Cherries - the fruiting variety are a good food source for local wildlife whilst the non-fruiting varieties provide visual benefits with their colourful blossom.

Lime - they act as a host for aphids which are a food source for many native birds

In our parks

Willows - the main types of  trees in parks in the borough are Willows.  Willows form the genus Salix. Traditionally, these trees evoke images of the ‘weeping willow’ along river banks.

Oaks - Oak trees are a common variety in many British parks and woodlands. The two native varieties provide a host of ecological benefits to the ecosystem. In particular, acorns are a vital food source for wildlife. They have a long life tree often reaching ages of 400 years plus.

London Plane - traditionally, these trees were planted by the Victorians in many of the squares in central London. They were also planted along residential streets. In parks they can grow into large landscape trees. Their distinctive mottled bark helps the tree to survive in polluted city environments.

Poplars - these trees create a picturesque landscape for many parks and open spaces. They can grow into very large trees and provide attractive autumn colours.

Conifers - most conifers are trees, although some do grow as shrubs. The majority of conifers are evergreen and are useful for providing both visual and aural screens in city environments. As evergreens they also provide year round colour to the landscape.