Preparing for a flood
Start preparing today before a flood happens. Use the checklist below to develop your flood plan.
Know who to contact and how
- Check with other people in your household. Agree where you will go and how to contact each other
- Check with your council if pets are allowed at evacuation centres
- Keep a list with all your important contacts to hand
Think about what you can move now
Move items of personal value such as photo albums, family films and treasured mementos to a safe place. Do not wait for the flood to happen.
- Electrical equipment
- Garden pot plants and furniture
- Think about who you could ask for help or who you could offer help to, particularly vulnerable neighbours or relatives, in a flood
Check your insurance cover
- Check your buildings and contents insurance policy
- Confirm you are covered for flooding
- Find out if the policy replaces new for old, and if it has a limit on repairs
- Don’t underestimate the value of your contents
Know how to turn off your gas, electricity and water mains supplies
- Ask your supplier how to do this
- Mark taps or switches with stickers to help you remember
Prepare a flood kit of essential items and keep it handy
- Copies of your home insurance documents
- A torch with spare batteries
- A wind-up or battery radio
- Warm, waterproof clothing and blankets
- A first aid kit and prescription medication
- Bottled water and non-perishable foods
- Baby food and baby care items
Sandbags are no longer considered as an effective means of dealing with flash flood events and therefore the Harrow Lead Local Flood Authority will not issue sandbags to residents or businesses for the protection of property before or during flood events.
The Harrow Council Lead Local Flood Authority continues to invest and maintain the 70 flood defences and 15 flood storage areas that have been constructed in the borough and work with at risk communities to establish flood action groups and flood action plans.
Further information on how to prepare for a flood can be found at GOV.UK.