Request a council tax refund

We can issue a refund when there is a valid credit balance on your account such as:

  • an overpayment
  • an award of council tax support, discount or exemption
  • the band of your property has been reduced

Do I need to request a refund?

You don’t need to request a refund if:

  • you pay by Direct Debit – the payment will be automatically refunded to your account
  • you are moving address within harrow – we will transfer the credit to your new council tax account

Credit balances due to council tax discounts, exemptions or support

We don't ordinarily issue a refund for credit balances which have occurred due to an award of council tax support, discounts or exemptions. Instead we will use the credit to reduce the balance on your account and will send you a revised bill with the instalments adjusted accordingly.

If you prefer to a receive a refund you can submit a request.

Request a refund

To request a refund you will need to:

  1. Download and complete the Refund form (If the credit is on the account of someone who has died, please use the executors form).
  2. Scan the completed refund form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  3. Send the scanned/pictured image to your computer eg by email or text.
  4. Attach the image and answer the questions on the council tax evidence form.