Empty property exemptions

Empty property due to occupant being in hospital or a care home

If you lived alone and have left your property empty because you are now permanently resident in a hospital or residential care home, you will be exempt from paying council tax on the property you have left.  The exemption will last until your tenancy ends or your property is sold. If you have a short stay (less than six weeks) in hospital it has no effect on the council tax bill.


To apply you will need to:

  1. Download and complete the application form
  2. Scan the form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  3. Send the scanned form to your computer eg by email or text.
  4. Attach the form and answer all the questions on the evidence form.