We will try to help you financially, in a similar way to how parents would support their own children. Our help includes:
- A leaving care grant of up to £2,000 this will help you buy essential things when moving into your own home.
- You will be exempt from paying council tax for the first six months only.
- Provide or tell you about relevant money management courses. We make available a “My Bnk” training, twice a year, which is open to all care leavers.
- Information on how to access your Junior ISA, if you have one (a fund of money set aside by the government and the Council).
- Support you to open a bank account.
- Support you to gain important identification documents, such as a passport and provisional driving licence before your 18th birthday.
- Support you to get your National Insurance number.
- We may provide financial support in exceptional circumstances.
Further information download the Leaving Care Charter.