Register a death

Tell Us Once service

Tell Us Once (TUO) is a free service. It enables you to report a death to most government services in one go. The report is then distributed to central and local government services, so that you don't have to inform each service separately. This process is secure and confidential.

The organisations that receive your report include:

  • Local council services such as council housing, housing benefit, council tax, Blue Badge and electoral registrations
  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for personal tax and to update regarding Child Benefit and Tax Credits claims (contact HMRC separately for business taxes, like VAT)
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to update benefits information for example: State Pension, Universal Credit
  • Passport Office to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) to cancel a driving licence and to remove registered keeper details, possibly for up to five vehicles
  • Public Sector or Armed Forces Pension Schemes to update pension records

Here is a 3-minute video that explains the service:

How to use the service

When you register the death with the registry office, we will provide you with a unique Tell Us Once reference number. This number enables you to access the TUO service online.

Interim death certificates

If you have been issued with an interim death certificate you may still be able to use the TUO service. The Registrar will advise you how to do so.

What you will need

When using the TUO service you will need the following:

  • the deceased date of birth
  • address of the deceased
  • National Insurance number
  • driving licence number
  • vehicle registration number
  • passport number

You will also need:

  • details of any benefits or entitlements they were receiving, for example State Pension, Universal Credit
  • details of any local council services they were receiving, for example Adult Social Services, Blue Badge, travel pass
  • the name and address of their next of kin
  • the name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • the name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’
  • details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were getting or paying into

Additional information

  • permission is required from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator and anyone who was claiming benefits or entitlements jointly with the person who died, before you give their details.
  • Tell Us Once is not a claim to benefit, therefore please contact GOV.UK or the relevant department for advice.
  • once the various agencies informed by Tell Us Once have received notification of the death, they will make any further contact if necessary with the bereaved family.
  • Tell Us Once does not notify any commercial organisations of the death and cannot arrange for redirection of post.