Register a death
To register a death you'll need to book an appointment to visit the register office.
To register a death you need to contact the borough where the death occurred. If the death took place in Northwick Park hospital please contact Brent Council's registration service.
Ordinarily you should register a death within five days.
You will need to:
- Book an appointment to visit the register office. Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.
- The surgery will email the register office ‘the medical certificate’ showing the cause of death. Please do not collect this from the surgery.
We would recommend that the death is registered by a relative of the deceased, if this is not possible please contact us for further advice.
Registering a death outside of normal office hours
if you need a burial / cremation certificate outside of normal register office hours please contact us using our out of hours contact details, found at the bottom of this page.
The coroner will issue a coroners certificate directly to the registrar prior to your appointment if the following conditions are met:
- a post-mortem examination is required
- the death is confirmed to be from natural causes
A medical certificate won't be issued.
To confirm that the certificate has been received from the coroner please contact us via the number at the bottom of this page.
At your appointment:
- if a burial is to take place we will issue the relevant document to you for the burial to be arranged
- if a cremation is to take place, the coroner will issue the relevant document directly to the funeral director for the cremation to be arranged
Tell Us Once service
Tell Us Once (TUO) is a free service which enables you to report a death to one government department and the report is then distributed to all the appropriate central and local government departments on your behalf. Find out more about the TUO service.
Death certificate fee
The charge for a death certificate is £11.00
Harrow Register OfficeAddress: Civic Centre
Harrow Register Office (out of hours service)
If you urgently need a burial / cremation certificate prior to the full registration of the death, and it is outside of our normal office hours we provide a service on Sundays between 9 - 10am and bank holiday mornings.