Register a death
From Monday 30 March 2020 and until further notice, deaths will be registered by telephone appointment. For more information see our Coronavirus page.
To register a death you need to contact the borough where the death occurred. If the death took place in Northwick Park hospital please contact Brent Council's registration service.
Ordinarily you should register a death within five days.
You will need to:
- have a medical certificate showing the cause of death - this will be issued either by a hospital or certifying doctor
- contact us by telephone to book an appointment
We would recommend that the death is registered by a relative of the deceased, if this is not possible please contact us for further advice.
Registering a death outside of normal office hours
if you need a burial / cremation certificate outside of normal register office hours please contact us using our out of hours contact details.
Bank holiday opening hours
- Friday 8th May: 9am to 10am Emergency Burial/Cremations only
- Saturday 9th May: 9am to 12noon - Pre booked telephone appointments only
- Sunday 10th May: 9am to 10am Emergency Burial/Cremations only
If a post-mortem examination is required, and the death is confirmed to be from natural causes, the coroner will issue a coroners certificate directly to the registrar prior to your appointment - a medical certificate won't be issued. To confirm that the certificate has been received from the coroner please contact us.
At your appointment:
- if a burial is to take place we will issue the relevant document to you for the burial to be arranged
- if a cremation is to take place, the coroner will issue the relevant document directly to the funeral director for the cremation to be arranged
Tell Us Once service
Tell Us Once (TUO) is a free service which enables you to report a death to one government department and the report is then distributed to all the appropriate central and local government departments on your behalf. Find out more about the TUO service.
Death certificate fee
The charge for a death certificate is £11.00