Benefit overpayments

How to repay your overpayment

If you are sent an invoice to repay an overpayment please use one of the following methods of payment:

  • online
  • telephone - 020 8424 1220
  • standing order
  • cash, credit/debit card or cheque at the Civic Centre (please make all cheques payable to 'The London Borough of Harrow')

Please quote your 11-digit invoice number when making a payment.

If you can not afford to repay the overpayment, call 020 8424 1692 from 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday.

Can you take me to court if I don't repay an overpayment?

If you do not repay the overpayment using any of the above methods we can take you to court. The court allows us to:

  • use an attachment on earnings - this means your employer gives us some of your wages to repay the overpayment
  • use Enforcement Agents
  • use a charging order

What you should do if you disagree with a decision

If you disagree with the housing benefit department's decision regarding your housing benefit or council tax support you can dispute the decision. Further information can be found under housing benefit disputes and appeals.

Housing benefits and council tax support office

Civic Centre