How to repay your overpayment
If you are sent an invoice to repay an overpayment please use one of the following methods of payment:
- telephone - 020 8424 1220
- standing order (quoting your 11 digit invoice number) -
Account name: London Borough of Harrow - Housing Benefit Overpayment Account
Account Number: 53653475
Sort Code: 60-10-10
- cash, credit/debit card or cheque at the Civic Centre (please make all cheques payable to 'The London Borough of Harrow')
Please quote your 11 digit invoice number when making a payment.
If you can not afford to repay the overpayment, call 020 8424 1692 from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
We may send you a SMS text reminder to the telephone number you have provided. This text will include an application that allows you to make payments against an overpayment that you owe.
What happens if I don’t pay or pay late?
- Use an attachment on earnings - this means your employer gives us a % of your wages to repay the overpayment
- Use of Debt Recovery Agents. The Council can refer the debt to an Enforcement Agent to collect the amount. This may entail visits to your property and correspondence being sent to you, all payments must be made to the Agents direct.
Can you take me to court if I don't repay an overpayment?
- County Court referral. The Council can make a claim in the County Court which will result in a County Court Judgement (CCJ) which could affect your ability to obtain credit for up to 6 years. Additional fees will also be applied to the debt that you owe.
- If you own a property then a further application could be made to place a charge on the property (Charging Order) or in some circumstances we can make an application for Bankruptcy.
What you should do if you disagree with a decision
If you disagree with the housing benefit department's decision regarding your housing benefit or council tax support you can dispute the decision. Further information can be found under housing benefit disputes and appeals.
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support OfficeAddress: