Benefit disputes and appeals

Council tax support disputes and appeals

If you disagree with the council's decision regarding your council tax support you can submit a dispute.

How to submit a dispute

Your dispute should be submitted as soon as possible after the assessment. Please submit your dispute

When you submit your dispute please ensure you provide the following information:

  • the date of the decision
  • the reason you believe the decision is wrong
  • any evidence to support your dispute

If you do not provide all of this information we will not be able to review your application.

After you have submitted a dispute

When your dispute has been received, we will review your claim to ensure the council tax support scheme rules have been applied correctly. We will notify you of the outcome in writing within 8 weeks.

What to do if you are not happy with the result of your dispute

If you are not happy with our decision you can submit an appeal to the Valuation Tribunal office. You need to submit your appeal to the Valuation Tribunal within two months of receiving our decision.

When the Valuation Tribunal receives your appeal they will notify the council that it has been received and may ask us for further information. They will also contact you to make an arrangement for a hearing and will send you a booklet explaining the tribunal's procedures in more detail.

They will not be able to consider an appeal regarding the council tax support scheme rules.

Paying your council tax during a dispute

You should continue to pay your council tax bill while your dispute is outstanding. Submitting a dispute does not allow you to withhold payment of the council tax owing in the meantime.