Regaining your independence after hospital

What kind of support can I get?

Meeting with a social care worker

The care worker will ask you about the issues that prevent you from living independently. They'll make recommendations to help overcome your challenges. Together you'll draw up a reablement plan. It will set out realistic goals and the support needed. It will also refer to equipment or technology that could help (for example, a fall detector).

The reablement support is then delivered by trained reablement Workers. As you improve, the amount of assistance will be gradually reduced.

Your reablement plan is tailored to meet your individual needs and circumstances. It can be as short as a few days or last several weeks.

Reablement services can include:

  • Practising activities such as cooking and bathing. This will help you learn, or re-learn skills and improve confidence.
  • Finding new ways to complete daily activities
  • Equipment or home adaptations, such as a personal alarm (to call for help) or bath rail or bath board

When is reablement not available?

Reablement is not appropriate for everyone leaving hospital. It is only for people can regain full or significant independence in the short term.

Those with severe, profound, ongoing health or care needs may not be offered reablement. This is because it will not help to significantly improve their situation.

Those who are expected to take more than six weeks to recover, are also unlikely to be offered reablement services. This might include those recovering from a hip replacement or broken bone.

Some personal circumstances will disqualify a patient leaving hospital from getting reablement. An example of this is people who do not qualify for public funds.

Qualifying for reablement can only be decided by council adult social care staff. They can also advise on who qualifies for reablement. If you don't qualify we will explain why . We'll be happy to answer any queries you may have.

If you do not qualify but do need care support, you will be referred on to the relevant council team for further help.

Your finances and assets will need to be assessed to see if you qualify for financial help with the cost of any future care. We can help you find voluntary or private organisations that provide further assistance.