Travel grant for students aged 16 - 19

To apply for a travel grant you must be:

  • living in Harrow
  • studying at a centre which is at least three miles from your home
  • studying within 1 hour and 15 minutes travel from your home by public transport
  • studying a course which is not available in a school, academy or college
  • receiving free school meals or received free school meals in year 11 at school

Students with an Educational Health Plan

Students with an EHP need to complete the SEN Travel Assistance application form.

When to apply for a travel grant

To receive the full grant you must submit your application before September

If you submit a late application you will not receive the full grant. The grant will cover the period from the date you submitted your application to the end of the school year.

Apply for a travel grant

Backdating your application

Awards for travel assistance will not be backdated. Applications for previous terms will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. The grant will normally be paid from the term when the application was made to the end of the school year.

How is the grant paid?

The grant is paid by BACS to the parent/guardian receiving the support payment each term. It covers the costs of each term’s travel, at the most economical rate. However payment depends on the student having a good attendance record at school. It will be monitored regularly. You will be required to provide proof at the end of each school term that you have purchased a valid travel pass. This can be an original receipt for your purchase. Failure to do so may result in future payments being delayed.

What to do if my circumstances change?

Your entitlement to school travel assistance depends on you receiving the relevant benefits. You must inform Pupil Support within 21 days if your circumstances change, such as:

  • your child changes school
  • a change of address
  • you stop receiving benefits

For more information see the transport policy statement for students aged 16-19.