Travel grant for children attending a school outside of Harrow

The school travel allowance helps with the cost of your child's travel to school and back.

You can apply for it if we couldn't offer your child a school place within Harrow. To qualify they will need to meet the following criteria:

  • They're aged between 8-10 and live more than 2 miles from the nearest school where they were offered a place.
  • They're aged between 11-16 and live more than 2 miles, but less than 6 miles, from the school where they were offered a place.
  • They are aged between 11-16. They live more than 3 miles but not more than 15 miles, from the school. The school was chosen due to its religion or belief and no other suitable school is available.


To be eligible for the allowance you must be receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Income Support  
  • Income based Job Seekers Allowance  
  • Income based Employment and Support Allowance  
  • Support from NASS
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Child Tax Credit - your income must be below £16,190  
  • Working Tax Credit run-on (which is paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
  • Universal Credit

Apply for a travel allowance

You will need to submit the following documents in support of your application:

  • Attendance record
  • Receipts for all travel costs

Send the documents to us by email:


Please make the payment by BACS transfer.

Moving to a school in Harrow while receiving the grant

If your child moves to a new school within Harrow during the school year, they will continue to receive the grant until the end of the academic year.