The school travel allowance is a financial assistance to cover your child's travel costs to school and back.
You can apply for the allowance if we were unable to offer your child a school place within Harrow and they meet the following criteria:
- they are aged between 8 - 10 and live more than 2 miles from the nearest school for which they have been offered a place
- they are aged between 11 - 16 and live more than 2 miles but less than 6 miles from one of the schools for which they have been offered a place
- they are aged between 11 - 16 and lives more than 3 miles but not more than 15 miles, from the school preferred by his or her parents on grounds of religion or belief and where no other suitable school is available
To be eligible for the allowance you must be receiving one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income based Employment and Support Allowance
- Support from NASS
- Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- Child Tax Credit - your income must be below £16,190
- Working Tax Credit run-on (which is paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Universal Credit
You will need to submit the following documents in support of your application:
- Attendance record
- Receipts for all travel costs
The documents can be sent to us by email: [email protected]
The payment is made by BACS transfer.
Moving to a school in Harrow while receiving the grant
If your child moves to a new school within Harrow during the school year, they will continue to receive the grant until the end of the academic year.