Portage is a home teaching programme for pre-school children aged 0-5 years, who are experiencing delayed development and are not in a pre-school/school setting.
What does the service provide?
The aim of the service is to enable parents/carers to gain skills and confidence in meeting the educational and developmental needs of their child.
We believe in working in close partnership with parents/carers as they have the expert knowledge of their child, and situation. This expert knowledge is required to ensure the best action is taken in supporting the child.
The portage home visitors:
- make regular planned home visits
- help to set appropriate developmental goals
- suggest practical ways to aid children’s development
- lend appropriate toys and equipment designed to support the programme
- provide information, particularly regarding early education issues
- write progress reports for parents, which can also be shared with appropriate professionals
- offer parent / child groups at local Children Centres
- work in collaboration with Speech and Language Therapists to offer training to parents of pre-school aged children with a diagnosis of autism following the National Autistic Society. View the EarlyBird programme.
To access the service please contact us.