Portage is a home teaching programme. It's designed for pre-school children aged 0-5 years, who are experiencing delayed development and are not in a pre-school/school setting.
What does the service provide?
The service aims to enable parents and carers to gain skills and confidence to meet the educational and developmental needs of their child.
We believe in working close in partnership with parents and carers. They have expert knowledge about their child and situation, and that knowledge ensures the best action for the child is taken.
The portage home visitors:
- make regular planned home visits
- help to set appropriate developmental goals
- suggest practical ways to aid children’s development
- lend appropriate toys and equipment designed to support the programme
- provide information, particularly regarding early education issues
- write progress reports for parents, which can also be shared with appropriate professionals
- offer parent / child groups at local Children Centres
- work in collaboration with Speech and Language Therapists to offer training to parents of pre-school aged children with a diagnosis of autism following the National Autistic Society. View the EarlyBird programme.
Harrow portage home visiting serviceAddress: Alexandra Avenue
Health & Social Care Centre
275 Alexandra Avenue