A child or young person is classed as missing from education if:
- they are 5 to 16 years old
- they don't have a school place
- there are no alternative education arrangements in place for them.
They are not classed as missing education if:
- they have a school place but are not attending regularly
- they are educated at home
- they are in temporary provision such as a Pupil Referral Unit
Local authorities have statutory duties relating to the provision of education and safeguarding the welfare of children, who are not receiving a suitable education.
For more information view the: