School children in employment

Icon information white

COVID-19 crisis

Due to the COVID-19 crisis and to adhere to the Government's guidance on social distancing and limiting the need to leave your home unless essential still applies. More information is available from National Network for Children in Employment and Entertainment.

We will do our best to issue Child Performance licences, Child Work Permits, Body of Person's Approval, Exemption licences and chaperone applications, but only if the request is compliant with the guidance set out by the Government.  We will therefore require a Risk Assessment to be completed for those children working to ensure employers and production companies are adhering to these preventative measures.

We advise all chaperones licensed by Harrow Council to refrain from carrying out chaperone duties and also follow the current Government guidance.
For further information please contact the Child Licensing Team.


School children can get a part-time job from the age of thirteen. They can only be employed in jobs which don't affect their health and safety or interfere with their education. This is separate to children employed in television, modelling or theatre.

School children can be employed in jobs such as:

  • delivering newspapers and leaflets
  • working in a shop, including stacking shelves
  • working in an office
  • hairdressing
  • working in a café or restaurant, but not in the kitchen 
  • working in a hotel or other places offering accommodation.

An employer will need to get a permit for the young person, which is free of charge.


We will issue a permit to an employer for a school aged child if the conditions are fulfilled. The consent of a parent or carer is necessary and we may seek confirmation from the school medical officer that the work will not harm the child or their education. Child employees should carry their permits while at work.


Body of Person's licence (BOPA)

Below is the application form and guidance for a Body of Persons licence: