Open and derelict properties

Through our empty property strategy the Council has a range of options to help owners voluntarily bring empty properties back into use.

These options include:

  • Empty property grants
  • Leasing schemes (e.g. leasing a property to a housing association)
  • Advice on how to let a property

If an owner is unwilling to co-operate, we have the legal power to take enforcement action including:

  • Making an Empty Dwelling Management Order (EDMO) whereby we become the managers of the property for a specified time
  • Enforcing a sale: we compel the owner to sell the property on the market (used when there is a debt owed to the council e.g. unpaid Council Tax)
  • Making a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO): we become the owners of the property. This requires Secretary of State approval.  We will then either sell the property on the open market or to a Registered Social Landlord (RSL) partner.

These enforcement actions are a last resort. Any enforcement action will include continuous consultation with any interested or affected parties, and may be subject to an appeal or public local enquiry.

For more information see Department for Communities and Local Government.