Open and derelict properties

Through our empty property strategy the Council has a range of options to help owners voluntarily bring empty properties back into use.

These options include:

  • empty property grants
  • leasing schemes (e.g. leasing a property to a housing association)
  • advice on how to let a property

If an owner is unwilling to co-operate, we have the legal power to do the following:

  • Make an Empty Dwelling Management Order (EDMO). This makes the council the manager of the property for a specified time.
  • Force a sale. We can make the owner to sell the property. This route is followed when there is a debt owed to the council, such as unpaid council tax.
  • Make a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO). The council becomes the owners of the property. This requires Secretary of State approval. We then either sell the property on the open market or to a Registered Social Landlord.

These enforcement actions are a last resort. Such actions includes continuous consultation with those affected. The enforcement may be subject to an appeal or public local enquiry.

For more information see Department for Communities and Local Government.