Through our empty property strategy the Council has a range of options to help owners voluntarily bring empty properties back into use.
These options include:
- Empty property grants
- Leasing schemes (eg leasing a property to a housing association)
- Advice on how to let a property
If an owner is unwilling to co-operate, we have the legal power to take enforcement action including:
- Making an Empty Dwelling Management Order (EDMO) whereby we become the managers of the property for a specified time
- Enforcing a sale: we compel the owner to sell the property on the market (used when there is a debt owed to the council eg unpaid Council Tax)
- Making a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO): we become the owners of the property. This requires Secretary of State approval. We will then either sell the property on the open market or to a Registered Social Landlord (RSL) partner.
These enforcement actions are a last resort. Any enforcement action will include continuous consultation with any interested or affected parties, and may be subject to an appeal or public local enquiry.
Empty homes teamAddress: PO Box 65