Disrepairs in a private rented property

What is a private rented property?

A private rented property is a property owned by an individual who allows a tenant to live in it for a rental fee.

If the property you are renting is in poor condition you can ask the landlord to make improvements to your home. 

If you are unable to come to an agreement, you can contact our Housing advice team for help and advice.

If after you talk to your landlord the property remains in disrepair you can report it online.

Landlords are responsible for most major repairs including:

  • leaking roofs and gutters
  • rotting floor boards and windows
  • rising damp
  • damp walls
  • defective electrical wiring
  • dangerous ceilings and staircases
  • faulty gas and water pipes
  • broken water heaters and boilers
  • broken toilets, sinks, baths, and showers
  • repairs to communal areas of the property which are used by all tenants.

Tenant responsibilities include:

  • some small internal items of repair, under the terms of the contract
  • internal decoration, unless a tenancy agreement states otherwise
  • occupying the accommodation in a responsible way and making sure it is kept secure
  • keeping sinks unblocked
  • ensuring members of their family or guests do not damage the property.

For more information you can view landlord and tenant guidance on GOV.UK.