We offer various schemes and incentives to help homeowners with empty properties. We want to encourage putting those properties back into residential use and carry out repairs to make them lettable.
Grants are given to owners and landlords to bring their properties up to the government's Decent Homes Standard. Landlords then rent the property through one of the council’s Help2Let schemes for a minimum number of years (nomination period), typically between 3 and 5 years.
We have two grants:
- empty property grant
- repair to lease grant.
Empty property grant
- receive up to £15,000
- your commitment: sign up to a 3-year letting agreement through Help2Let
Repair to lease grant:
- receive up to £10,000
- your commitment: sign up to a 2-year letting agreement through Help2Let.
Grants are subject to funding. To check current availability please contact the Empty Property Grant Team whose contact details are at the end of this page.
The grants are designed to provide financial support for the minimal works required to bring a property up to Decent Homes Standard and include:
- renewing a defective kitchen or bathroom
- renewing or repairing a hot water system
- damp proofing
- renewal of defective/damaged roofs
- repairing or renewing rotted windows and doors
- works to remedy category 1 hazards e.g. tripping hazards, excess cold
Report an empty property
To report an empty property please contact the empty properties team; contact details are at the end of this page.
List of empty properties
We don't provide a list of empty properties in Harrow. For more information see the policy on empty properties.