If you’re more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk.
If you’re eligible, you’ll be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in some shops.
You can use your card to buy:
- plain liquid cow’s milk
- fresh, frozen, and tinned fruit and vegetables
- fresh, dried, and tinned pulses
- infant formula milk based on cow’s milk
You can also use your card to collect:
- Healthy Start vitamins – these support you during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- vitamin drops for babies and young children – these are suitable from birth to 4 years old
How to apply
Find out more and apply through the NHS website link below.
What happens next
When you receive your new Healthy Start card you must activate it by calling Healthy Start on 0300 330 2090
For further details on where and how to use your card, see What you'll get and how to shop.
Cardholders are also entitled to free vitamins for both mother and child up to 4 years. These vitamins are tailored to mother and child’s nutritional requirements and are fundamental to healthy growth and development.