The exercise on referral programmes are designed for inactive adults at risk of developing chronic disease. They tend to be beneficial to adults who are overweight or obese. They are 10 to 12 weeks long and are tailored to meet your needs under the guidance of an exercise specialist.
Who qualifies for a referral
- People who are referred after an NHS health check
- People who are obese (body mass index over 30)
- People who are overweight (body mass index over 25) and have one of the conditions below:
- controlled diabetes or hypertension
- hypercholesterolemia (a type of high cholesterol)
- depression or anxiety (mild to moderate)
- mild arthritis in hips or knees
- asthma, COPD
To join a referral programme you will need to ask your GP.