Summer holiday support
Through the Covid Local Support Grant, we are providing support to around 9,000 children in Harrow over the summer holiday period. We are also encouraging families with children to sign up for further support that they may be entitled to:
- Healthy Start support (for children up to the age of 4) providing help to buy some basic foods and milk, which you can find out more and apply through the Healthy Start Website
- Free school meals for school age children and further support throughout the year. This is really important not just to get you the support that you need, but also to ensure that your child’s school receives the funding it is entitled to. To apply visit Gov.uk
- If you are struggling and need further support with food, information and advice or mental health support, you can request the support in line with your needs, be provided with food, or referred to one of our partners across Harrow. This can be accessed through Helpharrow.org
Apply for free school meals
To apply for free school meals your child has to attend a Harrow school and be aged between 5 and 18 years.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If you child moves to a different school, you will need to inform the new school that your child receives free school meals, so that they can update your details.
Funding for schools
If your child qualifies for free school meals, the school which they attend could benefit from up to £1320 additional funding to support their learning. For more information please contact the school which they attend.
Free school meals during the COVID-19 pandemic
Below are useful links to government guidelines regarding free school meals during the COVID-19 pandemic: