Voter ID requirement

Accepted forms of ID

The following forms of ID will all be accepted at polling stations:


  • UK passport
  • EEA state or Commonwealth country passport

Driving licences

  • UK driving licence
  • UK provisional driving licence
  • Driving licence issued by any of the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or an EEA state

Alternative documentation

  • Anonymous elector’s document issued under section 513BE (anonymous elector’s document: Great Britain) the holder of which has an anonymous entry at the time of the application for a ballot paper
  • Badge of a form prescribed under section 21 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970 or section 14 of the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons (Northern Ireland) Act 1978 (blue badge scheme)
  • Biometric immigration document issued in accordance with regulations under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007
  • Electoral identity document issued under section 13BD (electoral identity document: Great Britain). Previously referred to as the Voter Card; now called the Voter Authority Certificate
  • Electoral identity card issued under section 13C (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland)
  • Ministry of Defence Form 90 (Defence Identity Card), commonly known as a MOD90
  • National identity card issued by an EEA state

PASS card

An identity card bearing the proof of age standards scheme (PASS) hologram

A wide range of identity documents are PASS accredited including:

  • CitizenCard
  • Bracknell Forest Council e-card
  • My ID Card
  • Milton Keynes all in 1 MK Card
  • NUS Totum ID Card
  • Validate UK Card
  • Young Scot Card
  • Southwark Proof of Age London Card
  • One ID 4 U Card

Concessionary travel passes

Funded by the UK Government. This list was updated following the introduction of the Elections Bill. It now exhaustively sets out all concessionary travel cards that will be accepted, to avoid any confusion amongst electors.

  • Older Person’s Bus Pass
  • Disabled Person’s Bus Pass
  • Oyster 60+ Card
  • Freedom Pass
  • Funded by the Scottish Government
  • National Entitlement Card
  • Funded by the Welsh Government
  • 60 and over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  • Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  • Issued under the Northern Ireland Concessionary Fares Scheme
  • A Senior SmartPass;
  • A Registered Blind SmartPass or Blind Person’s SmartPass;
  • A War Disablement SmartPass or War Disabled SmartPass;
  • A 60+ SmartPass;
  • A Half Fare SmartPass