Council Tax for Landlords

If you are a landlord or managing agent you can let us know about a change in tenancies online.

Before you start

You will need to provide:

  • the tenancy start and end dates
  • the dates the tenants will be moving in or out
  • full names of all tenants
  • forwarding address for all tenants where applicable

Report a change of tenants

Who is responsible for paying Council Tax?

When a property is let to one household, usually the tenants will be responsible for paying the Council Tax.

Landlords are responsible if the property is let as a House in Multiple Occupation (where rooms are let individually).

Unoccupied properties

The landlord is responsible to pay the council tax during any period the property is unoccupied.

The landlord's liability begins on the day the previous occupants vacated. There are no discounts or exemptions available during this time.

Liability disputes

If you have received a bill and believe that any part of it is incorrect, you can submit a dispute using the evidence form.

You must pay the bill while you are waiting for the outcome of your dispute. If this results in an overpayment you will be able to claim a refund.

Self-catering properties

The criteria applied to determine whether a property being used for self-catering purposes is assessed as a Business Rates property or a Council Tax property, are changing from 1st April 2023.

For further information see Changes to Self-catering Properties.

Data privacy

The council cannot give any information about your tenant's Council Tax account. If the council requires information about a current or former tenant we may write to you to ask for it.

If you have received such a request you can return it to us using the evidence form.