A person is regarded as severely mentally impaired, if he or she suffers from severe mental impairment of intelligence or social functioning which appears to be permanent.
The person must be certified by a doctor as severely mentally impaired and entitled to one of the following benefits:
- Personal independence payment
- Incapacity Benefit short term or long-term rate
- Employment and Support Allowance
- Attendance Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- An increase in Disablement Allowance where constant attendance is needed
- Disability Living Allowance high or middle rate (care component)
- Working Tax Credit (disability element)
- An Unemployability supplement.
- Constant Attendance Allowance/ Unemployability allowance payable under the industrial injuries or war pension schemes.
- Income support including a disability premium because of incapacity for work
If all occupants meet the above criteria the property will be exempt. If there are occupants who do not qualify, there may be a discount.
You will need to provide:
- an award letter showing you receive one of the eligible benefits
- a doctor's certificate which must be signed and stamped by the person's doctor confirming that the condition is permanent. This is included with the application form below.
To apply for the discount you will need to: