Council Tax exemption for repossessed properties

A property is exempt from Council Tax if it has been repossessed by a mortgage lender and is unoccupied. The exemption starts from the date of the repossession and would last until the property is sold or occupied.


To apply you will need to:

  1. Scan your evidence using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  2. Send the scanned/pictured image to your computer eg by email or text.
  3. Attach the image and answer the questions on the evidence upload form.

Supporting documents

You will need to provide proof that the property has been repossessed.