If a property is left empty and was previously the detainee’s sole or main residence it will usually be exempt. If one adult remains at the property there will be a 25% discount. If there are two or more adults there will be no discount.
To qualify the person must be one of the following:
- detained in prison or hospital by order of a court
- detained prior to deportation
- detained under the Mental Health Act 1983
- subject to military imprisonment
The discount/exemption will start from the day the person left due to the detention and will last for as long as all of the conditions are met.
A person does not qualify if they are:
- in police custody before their first court appearance
- detained for non-payment of council tax or a fine
Apply for a discount for detained people
To apply you will need to:
- Download and complete the application form
- Scan the completed refund form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone
- Attach the documents and answer all of the questions on the evidence form
The council will contact the prison or detention centre to confirm the details before the exemption is awarded.