You may qualify for a discount on your council tax bill, if you and / or the other people in your property are students. You will need to meet certain criteria to qualify. If all the occupants in your property qualify for student discount, you will be exempt from council tax.
You can qualify for a student discount if you are:
- studying on a full time course with a recognised university or college for at least one academic year. The course must consist of at least 21 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience.
- under 20 years of age and studying on a course of further education for at least three months. The course must consist of at least 12 hours per week of study, tuition or work experience.
- a student nurse on a course leading to registration on any of Parts 1 to 6 or 8 of the Nursing Register and studying for your first inclusion on the register
You will not qualify for a student discount if:
- there are two or more adults living in the property who are not students
- you are a nurse who is already on the Nursing Register and taking further courses
You will also need to send us the following documents:
- a student certificate from your university or college. The certificate should include your name, address, the name of the college or university, the name of the course and duration of the course
- a copy of your tenancy agreement
Apply for a student discount
After your application has been assessed
If you qualify for a student discount we will send you a bill with the discount applied and your instalments will be adjusted accordingly. If you do not qualify for a student discount we will send you a letter explaining the reason your application has been declined.
Cancelling your discount
If you would like to cancel your discount please use the form below.