Council Tax discount for parents in receipt of child benefit

If you are receiving child benefit for a child aged 18 and 19, they will be disregarded from paying Council Tax. This may mean that you will be entitled to a discount on your Council Tax bill, but it will depend on the number of people who live at your property who are aged 18 and over, and their status.


To apply for the discount you will need to:

  1. Download and complete the application form
  2. Scan the completed refund form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  3. Send the scanned/pictured image to your computer eg by email or text.
  4. Attach the image and answer the questions on the evidence form.

Supporting documents

You will need to provide proof that you are in receipt of child benefit such as a bank statement showing child benefit payments or a Tax Credits award notice.