Council Tax discount for carers and care workers

To be disregarded for Council Tax you must fit either the care worker or the carer category in full.


 You must meet the following criteria:

  • resident within the same property as the person being cared for
  • providing care for at least 35 hours per week
  • you do not qualify if you are the parent caring for your child under-18 or if you are caring for your spouse / civil partner.
  • providing care to a person who is in receipt of any of the following benefits:
    • Attendance Allowance (lower or higher rate)
    • Disability Living Allowance care component (middle or higher rate)
    • Personal Independence Payments daily living component (standard or enhanced)
    • Armed Forces Independence payments
    • An increase in the rate of Disablement Pension
    • An increase in constant Attendance Allowance

Care workers

You must meet the following criteria:

  • providing care or support on behalf of a local authority or charitable body, or
  • employed by the person who is being cared for and introduced to the person through  a local authority or charity
  • employed for at least 24 hours per week
  • receiving less than £44 per week
  • resident in premises provided by your employer to perform your duties ( this does not mean you have to reside with the person you are caring for)

Apply for a discount for carers and care workers

To apply for the discount you will need to:

  • Download and complete the application form
  • Scan the completed application form using either a scanner or taking a picture of it using your mobile phone.
  • Attach the image and answer the questions on the evidence form.