Participation for care leavers

As your corporate parents we are here to provide advice and support.

A big part of staying mentally and physically healthy is enjoying hobbies and interests. At Harrow this includes free gym membership and swimming. We encourage you to get involved in sporting activities or other leisure activities near where you live. Your personal advisor (PA) will be able to provide more details. We'll also encourage and help you to enrol on the Electoral Register so you can vote in elections.

Get involved

You will be given the opportunity to get involved in

  • the Care Leavers Forum
  • training professionals
  • going on trips
  • participate in workshops
  • and much more

Not only will this help boost your confidence but will also add to your CV. We'll keep you informed with all the exciting things going on in Harrow, including special events put on especially for you. For more information contact us via the details at the bottom of this page.

Supporting parents who are care leavers

We are committed to supporting mothers and fathers who are in care, or in the process of leaving care. For further information please see our Charter for Parents who are Care Leavers.

Volunteering opportunities

The Young Harrow Foundation (YHF) has jobs, training and volunteering opportunities you might be interested in. The YHF also has clubs and activities which you may wish to get involved with.

Help to understand your history or accessing your social care file

We will help you understand your rights and advocate on your behalf. We'll help you access information about you and provide support if you need to make a complaint.

Children’s Services has to keep written case records of your care history. These records must be kept for 75 years.

You can request your records any time after you become 18 years old. You do not have to read through the information on your own. It can be upsetting or confusing to do this alone. Your PA can support you or you can bring a friend.

We would strongly suggest that you do not do this on your own. You need to request to see your records in writing.

Children’s Services must then respond to you in writing giving a timescale. It must happen within 40 days. You may find that some of the information is not available for you to read.

This is because some of the information in your records may identify other people known as third parties.

Additionally, if there is information that may seriously harm your physical or mental health it might not be given to you.

Getting ID sorted

Having certain documents is a key part of adult life. Such documents include:

  • A passport or immigration document
  • National Insurance Number
  • Birth certificate
  • Bank accounts

We'll help you get these, and pay for your first passport or travel document, if required.

We'll help you get a bank account before you turn 18, and you're entitled to a National Insurance Number on your 16th birthday. It’s important that you keep these documents safe, and we'll also take a copy in case you need it in the future.

We can support you to get a Provisional Driving Licence if it's agreed in your pathway plan, and is needed for future education or employment.

Your views

We want to hear your views so we can improve the experience for other young adults leaving care.