Harrow business toolkits

We have developed a tool kit to provide advice and guidance for businesses, including those starting a food business.

The beauty businesses

If you own or manage a premises in the borough which offers: massage, manicure, pedicure, facials, nail extensions, acupuncture, tattooing, body piercing, cosmetic piercing, chiropody, light, electric or other special treatments which require sun beds, vapour, sauna or other baths, you will probably need to apply for a Special Treatments License from Harrow Council. For further information and to apply for a license to operate as a special treatment practitioner, please visit our licences section.

The childcare businesses

Running a childcare business requires compliance with a range of statutory standards.  See our information sheet on rules and regulations for opening a childcare business.

The food businesses

Food businesses can include home caterers, clubs, market stalls, childminders, vehicles and some domestic premises if they are used to store, handle or prepare food. Food includes drinks, confectionery and wrapped food. If you run a food business or want to start one up, please see the links below for information on what you need to do to comply with the regulations: