Request a refund for business rates

We can issue a refund when there is a valid credit balance on your account, such as:

  • an overpayment
  • an award of  a relief or exemption
  • your rateable value has changed

Do I need to request a refund?

You don’t need to request a refund if:

  • you pay by Direct Debit – the payment will be automatically refunded to your account
  • you are moving address within harrow – we will transfer the credit to your new business rates account

Credit balances due to a relief or exemption

We don't ordinarily issue a refund for credit balances which have occurred due to an award of a relief or exemptions. Instead we will use the credit to reduce the balance on your account and send you a revised bill with the instalments adjusted accordingly. If you would prefer to receive a refund please complete the refund form.

Request a refund

To request a refund you will need to:

  • Download and complete the refund form.
  • Complete the form. You can only print and complete the form by hand.
  • Save the completed form to your device and send it to us using the Evidence upload form.