Arrange your wedding or civil partnership ceremony

You can choose to have a religious ceremony or a civil ceremony when you are getting married. If you are forming a civil partnership you will be able to have a civil ceremony alone, see more information on civil partnerships.

Civil ceremonies

You can arrange to have a civil ceremony in Harrow at:

A civil ceremony is conducted by two registrars. One will register the marriage and the other will be the celebrant. On the day of the ceremony the registrars will meet with you to make their last check on your personal details and to obtain the information that will be entered into the schedule. If you have chosen to have your ceremony at the council's ceremony rooms or at a licensed venue within Harrow, you will be offered a tailored ceremony according to your needs.

Religious weddings

If you are marrying in the Established Church (the Church of England or Church of Wales) all the arrangements will normally be made by your vicar.

If you are subject to immigration control and you want to marry in the Established Church you will need to submit your notice of marriage to the register office.

Non-Church of England religious weddings

If you are marrying in a non-Church of England church or having a legally recognised wedding under other faiths, you should contact the place directly to book your wedding. You will need to submit your notice of marriage to the register office. The religious celebrant will ask you for your marriage schedule. At your ceremony you will sign the schedule, however, you will not be given a marriage certificate. You will need to return your marriage schedule to the register office which the venue falls under, they will then update the system then issue you with a marriage certificate. Please allow 5 working days to receive your marriage certificate.

A few places may require you to arrange for the attendance of a registrar on the day of the wedding. They will advise you if this is the case, if so please contact us as early as possible to book a registrar using the details below.

Customary religious weddings

In some faiths, the customary religious weddings ceremonies aren't recognised under English law. To receive the legal status of your marriage you will need to have a simple civil marriage performed separately. You will need to confirm if this required before arranging the date for your religious wedding. If a separate civil wedding is needed, we strongly advise you to schedule it first, otherwise there may be legal complications later. To confirm if your ceremony is recognised under English law please contact us using the details below.

Before you have your ceremony

Before you have your ceremony you must:

  1. Choose the date, time and venue for your ceremony
  2. Book your registrars
  3. Give your notice of marriage - you will need to have your ceremony within 12 months of giving notice

Harrow Register Office

Address: Civic Centre
Station Road

Telephone: 020 8901 2665