Benefit disputes and appeals

Housing Benefit disputes and appeals

If you disagree with your entitlement to Housing Benefit you can submit a dispute.

Before you submit a dispute you may want to check and confirm the reason your Housing Benefit entitlement has changed.

How to submit a dispute

To submit a dispute you will need to provide the following information:

  • the date of the decision you are asking us to review  - you can find this on your Housing Benefit letter
  • the reason you believe the decision is wrong
  • any evidence to support what you are telling us - please write your claim reference number on any documents you send in

You need to provide all of the above information for us to consider your dispute.

You must submit your dispute within one month of the date your claim was assessed. The date will be on your Housing Benefit letter.

Before you start

  • You will need to log in to your MyHarrow Account
  • You Claim reference must be linked to your MyHarrow Account. If you need help, follow the steps on MyHarrow Account support.
  • Please have your supporting documents ready to upload.

Submit a dispute

If you prefer you can submit your dispute by posting a letter to the Housing Benefit disputes and appeals office.

Checking the progress of your dispute

We aim to consider your request and respond to you within 2 months.  If we are unable to make a decision on your dispute at that time, we will write to you to ask for more information.

You can check the progress through your MyHarrow Account. If we have finished assessing your dispute, we will send you a letter informing you of our decision.

You will be able to view the letter on your account. If we have made a change to your claim and your entitlement has changed, we will send you a decision notification.

You will be able to view the decision notification letter on your account. If you haven’t been sent a new letter or decision notification, it is likely we are still assessing your claim.

What to do if you disagree with the result of your dispute

If you disagree with the result of your dispute you can submit an appeal. Before you submit an appeal please read the appeal guide.

To submit an appeal please complete the appeal form.