Advocacy means having someone who will express your views and wishes, secure your rights and represent your interests. Advocacy safeguards people who are vulnerable by speaking up for them. It enables people with physical or learning disabilities, older people and those with mental health needs to make informed choices and decisions about their own health and social care.
Agencies which offer adult advocacy
- Advocacy 1st: providing help with Independent Care Act Advocacy, Health Advocacy, Children and Young People's Advocacy, Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA)
- Harrow Association of Disabled people: for people with disabilities and provides advocacy to help you deal with concerns you have about any health service you have used
- Age UK Harrow: for people over the age of 60.
- Harrow Mencap: representing people with learning disabilities.
- Mind in Harrow: for those with mental health problems. Specialist Somali based health assistance.
Advocacy is completely independent from the organisations that provide social care or Healthcare in Harrow. Advocates act only according to the wishes of the person they are speaking for. They do not take their own view of what is best, or try to influence the person to make a different choice.
Do you use health, community or social services, and are having problems getting your needs met or your voice heard?
Age UK Harrow
Offering advocacy to older people in the community over the age of 60. Drop-ins on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday; 10am-1pm. All other times by appointmentAddress: Harrow office
Vyman House Ground Floor
104 College Road, Harrow
Middlesex, HA1 1BQ
Harrow Association of Disabled People
Providing a comprehensive advocacy service for people with disabilities, catering for both social and health service issues. Office opening hours: Monday- Friday 9.30am to 5.00pm Textphone: 07985 244 177Address: The Wealdstone Centre
38-40 High Street
Meeting the needs of carers by supporting them on an individual basisAddress: 376 – 378
Representing people with learning disabilitiesAddress: 3 Jardine House
Harrovian Business Village
Health Advocacy Service
Provides advocacy to help you deal with concerns you have about any health service you have used, including a hospital, GP or dentist serviceAddress: Ground Floor
15-21 Headstone Drive
Textphone: 07985 244 177
Mind in Harrow
Supports people with mental health problems. Provides a specialist Somali mental health advocacy service.Address: First Floor
132-134 College Road
Tel: 020 8426 0929
Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA) to patients at Northwick Park Hospital and Roxbourne Complex