Benefits advice

Benefits and tax credits are payments from the government

They are available to certain people on low incomes, and those with specific needs

They can help you if you:

  • are on a low income
  • are out of work
  • have children
  • are pregnant
  • are sick or disabled
  • have been bereaved
  • are a carer (ie you are looking after someone)

A summary of some of the benefits that are available, what they are and who can apply are listed below:

Attendance Allowance

This benefit is for people who have a disability that requires someone to help look after them. You can apply for Attendance Allowance if you are aged 65 years or over and are considered eligible. For more details and to make an application please visit the Attendance Allowance page at

Carer's Allowance

This benefit is for those aged 16 and over, who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. Additionally, the person you care for has to be receiving a benefit. For example, Attendance Allowance (see above) or the “daily living component” of a Personal Independent Payment. 

For more details and to make an application please visit the Carer's Allowance page at

Disability Living Allowance for children (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance is for disabled children under 16. For more details and to make an application please visit the DLA page at

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

This benefit is for those with an illness or a disability that prevents them from being able to work. The benefit can also be used to make arrangements to help you to work. For more details and to make an application please visit the ESA page at

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP is replacing the disability living allowance. It can help to pay towards some of the extra costs caused by a disability or long-term ill health. For more details and to make an application please visit thee PIP page at

See further details about at your local Citizens Advice or visit them online.

For more information please see Citizen's advice on benefits.

Money matters

If you are experiencing financial difficulty the most important thing is to get help straight away. No matter how tough the situation may seem, there are ways to manage your finances.

Managing your money

Would you like to take control of your finances, but are not sure of where to start?

The Money Advice Service is a free and impartial money advice, set up by government offering:

  • advice and guides to help improve your finances
  • tools and calculators to help keep track and plan ahead
  • support over the phone and online

Visit The Money Advice Service website for more information.

The government website GOV.UK has lots of information. This includes benefit calculators, on a range of benefits and credits you may be entitled to.