What is portage?
Portage is an educationally based home teaching programme for pre-school children aged 0-5years, who present with delayed development. The aim of the service is to enable parents to gain skills and confidence in meeting the developmental needs of their child.
The service has an open referral policy. Parents may refer their own child. Carers, and professionals may refer with the agreement of the parent/s.
What is the role of the portage home visitor?
- to make regular planned home visits
- to discuss issues regarding the child's development. to help set appropriate developmental goals
- to suggest practical ways to aid the child's development
- to lend appropriate toys and equipment to support the programme
- to model appropriate play activities
A portage home visitor
- is a source of information, particularly regarding early education issues, although s/he cannot act as a parental advocate
- has close liaison with other professionals working with the parent and child
- writes progress reports for the parents, which can also be shared with appropriate professionals.