NHS Test and Trace Support Payment

The NHS Test and Trace Support Payment scheme is funded by government. The law was recently changed to make it illegal for someone not to self-isolate when instructed to do so by NHS Test and Trace. The scheme awards £500 to give some financial support to people on low incomes if they will lose money from employment while  self-isolating.

It is only available to people who have been contacted by NHS Test and Trace. It is important that everyone gives accurate information to the Test and Trace service to ensure that other people can access the payment if they meet all of the criteria.

Test and Trace Support Payment qualifying criteria

Only people who meet all of the following criteria can qualify for a payment:

  • Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive;
  • The period of self-isolation started on or after 28 September 2020
  • They are employed or self-employed;
  • They are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of self-isolating;
  • They must be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
  • To qualify in Harrow, the applicant must be resident in Harrow

The scheme is not to assist people who have lost money due to being furloughed.

The scheme will not assist people who receive full sick pay/pay during the period of self-isolation.

How to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment

If you meet the above criteria then you can apply for a payment using the form below.

You must submit your application within 14 days of the last day of your period of self-isolation.  No applications will be considered outside of this time limit.

You must provide evidence to verify your application. The form will tell you what supporting information you need to provide. If you do not provide the information requested your application will be refused.

We will also check the information provided against records held by DWP, HMRC and the Test and Trace service (CTAS).  For information on how we will process your data please see the Privacy notice for the Test and Trace Payments.

It is important that you give accurate information when you complete the application form. All information will be verified, and payments will not be made to anyone who does not meet all the criteria. Help us process your application quickly and to pay people who do qualify by not giving us false information. Any applicants who are found to have knowingly given information that is incorrect or incomplete may be liable to prosecution and will either not be paid or have to repay the award.

Apply for a Test and Trace support payment

If you are unable to complete an online form and have no one who can help you please phone 020 8901 2610 for assistance.


All payments will be for £500. This is subject to income tax. For more information on how the payment might affect the tax you pay, Statutory Sick Pay or benefits you currently receive, see Test and Trace Payment Advice.

The council will aim to make a decision on all applications within seven working days of the last piece of supporting information being received.  The applicant will be notified of the decision either by email or letter.

All payments are made directly to a bank account in the name of the applicant.  If that account is overdrawn you may wish to contact the bank in respect to the first right of appropriation.  This means that you may be able to access this money even if you are overdrawn.  You should advise the council that you are going to do this before the payment is issued.

It will take up to a further four working days for the payment to show in your bank account.

There is no right to appeal against a decision.