Lateral flow tests are now available for purchase at local pharmacies for an average cost of £2. The government has provided information on finding a private test provider.
Free asymptomatic testing will continue for:
- adult social care staff and a small number of visitors providing personal care
- hospice staff
- patient-facing staff in the NHS and NHS-funded independent healthcare provision
- some staff in prisons and other places of detention, and some refuges and shelters
If you have symptoms of COVID-19
If you experience symptoms of a respiratory infection, including COVID-19, and a high temperature, or if you feel unwell, stay at home and avoid contact with other people for at least 5 days minimum and until you feel well enough to resume normal activities.
If you are required to leave the house after testing positive, you should avoid close contact with people, wear a face-covering and avoid crowded places.
Mask wearing and social distancing
- Masks are still required in clinical settings including hospitals and GP clinics
- Masks are no longer legally required in most other public spaces - although they are strongly encouraged in enclosed crowded spaces and on public transport.
- If you are experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, or have tested positive, if you have to leave the house you should wear a face covering and social distance.