School admission applications for children moving to the UK

Most children who move to the UK from overseas have the right to attend a school in England.

If you have recently moved to the UK and would like to apply for a school place for your child, you will need to check you have one of the following:

  • right of abode
  • a visa which permits your child to access a state funded school

Children from the European Economic Area and Swiss nationals

Children from the European Economic Area and Swiss nationals will continue to have the right to enter the UK to access a school until 31 Dec 2020. If you arrive in the UK by 31 December 2020 your child will be entitled to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme, and continue to be able to study in schools in England as they do now.

Children moving to the UK after 31 December 2020

Children who move to the UK, after 31 December 2020, on a Tier 4 child or Tier 4 student visa must study at one of the following school or colleges which is sponsoring them:

  • an independent school
  • sixth form college
  • further education college

Your child will not be able to use a 6 month visitor visa or a 6 month short-term study visa to move to the UK to enrol as a pupil at a school.

Irish citizens

Irish citizens’ right to live in the UK will not change. You will not need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme, but your family members who are not Irish or UK citizens will need to apply.

You can find out more about: