Coronavirus (COVID-19) update:
As with a number of organisations we are constantly monitoring the health of our staff and the services that can be provided due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
Whilst every effort is being made to plan for running as normal a service as possible we will have to, if as predicted, reduce the service provided and prioritise our workloads as staffing levels reduce.
In advance can we thank you for your patience when emailing and/or phoning the office. We will endeavour to deal with your enquiry as efficiently as possible with the resources available.
Harrow Building Control has now commenced a reduced service and will not be carrying out site inspections until further notice.
We will be happy to accept photographs of work that we would normally inspect.
To submit your photographs please email [email protected] with a subject "Inspection" followed by the site address.
Attach your photographs fully demonstrating critical elements of the work. Showing tape measurements of foundations, joists etc.
Surveyors will assess your photos and seek to advise you the same day that the photographs are acceptable.
Other enquiries will be dealt with the available resources but there may a delay in responding.
In advance can we thank you for your patience when emailing and/or phoning the office.
If you are still involved with operations on site, particularly essential maintenance or building work, which will need to continue, please read the best practice guidance document produced by Construction Leadership Council for safe site working for information and we recommend that you adopt the proposed measures as quickly as possible.
Harrow Building Control schedule of fees effective from 16 January 2017
The charges for our standard fees can be found below:
- New Dwellings (New Build and Conversions)
- Domestic Extensions and Alterations to a Single Dwelling
- Domestic Extensions and Alterations to a Single Dwelling - Simplified Version for Householders
- Non-Domestic New Build, Extensions and Alterations
For an individually assessed fee, please contact our Building Control team using the contact details on this webpage.
Making a payment
To pay the fee by debit or credit card, please call us on 020 8736 6058 or email [email protected]. We can also accept cheques, however, due to staffing availability there may be significant delays processing cheques and subsequently the application.
There is currently no facility to pay online.
Cheques should be:
- made payable to Harrow Council
- include details of the site address and the application reference
- sent to the Building Control office Civic Centre, PO Box 37, Station Road, Harrow, HA1 2XY
- marked for the attention of Planning and Building Control.
Revised Approved Documents
Updated versions 2013 and 2015:
- Approved Document A
- Approved Document B Vol 1 (2019) New
- Approved Document B Vol 2 (2019) New
- Approved Document B Vol 1
- Approved Document B Vol 2
- Approved Document C
- Approved Document D
- Approved Document E
- Approved Document F
- Approved Document G
- Approved Document H
- Approved Document J
- Approved Document K
- Approved Document L1A
- Approved Document L1B
- Approved Document L2A
- Approved Document L2B
- Approved Document M Vol 1
- Approved Document M Vol 2
- Approved Document P
- Approved Document Q
- Approved Document R
- Approved Document 7 amended 2019
Please visit GOV.UK to see other Approved Documents.
Building control guides
- A guide to extending your home
- A guide to renovating your home
- Building control customer charter
- Guidance Note 2014/2 - BC Charges Domestic Extensions and Alterations to a Single Dwelling
- Guidance Note - Approved Document G (2010 edition)
- Guidance Note - Chimney Breast Removal
- Guidance Note - Fire Safety in Dwelling houses
- Guidance Note - Fire Safety in Buildings other than Dwelling houses
- Guidance Note - Regularisation Applications
- Guidance Note - Roofing
- Guidance Note - Domestic electrical work
- Find a registered electrician
- U-Value Guide - Guidance on U-values for domestic construction
- Building work, replacements and repairs to your home
- The Party Wall Act Explanatory Booklet
- Is your home polluting Harrow's Rivers?
- Fire Safety - A clear and impartial guide (New)
Useful building control web sites
- The Planning Portal
- Local Authority Building Control
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- The Chartered Institute of Building
- Communities and Local Government
- The Health & Safety Executive (HSE)
- NICEIC Group Limited
- ELECSA Limited
- NAPIT Registration Limited
- The Faculty of Party Wall Surveyors
- Competent Roofer
- Thames Water (Developer Services)
- Change of use