Massage and special treatment licence

Making changes to a special treatment licence

You may only provide the treatments stated on the licence. It is an offence to provide any other treatment.

A Special Treatment licence can be varied to add additional treatments. The application will have to include the qualification certificates of the therapists qualified to provide the additional treatments, and details of the procedures used for the additional treatments.

It may take 10 working days for the amended licence to be issued unless a new form of treatment is being applied for and additional research is required.

How to add a new therapist to the current licence

A licence holder may apply to add new therapists to the licence. To apply you will need to download and complete the therapist registration form, and send it to us with the following documents:

  • photocopies of the therapist’s qualification certificates
  • a photocopy of the therapist’s current passport or photo card driving licence
  • additional Therapist fee

To submit the therapist qualification form you must:

  1. Save the therapist registration form to your own computer
  2. Open and complete the form
  3. Print the form as a PDF to save it to your computer. This is important as your answers will not be saved
  4. Email the form to licensing@harrow.gov.uk

It may take 10 working days from the receipt of application for the amended licence to be issued.

The new therapist must not offer or administer licensable treatments until the amendment is granted and their name appears on the licence.

Qualification certificates and documentation

Applications must be accompanied by copies of the qualification certificates and photocopy identification of the therapists named on the licence to provide the treatments.

Acceptable identification is a photocopy of a current passport or photo card driving licence.

Harrow Council only accepts the following qualifications for therapists:

  • BTEC National Award, Certificate or Diploma in Beauty Therapy Sciences
  • NVQ Level 2 Beauty Therapy
  • NVQ Level 3 Beauty Therapy
  • VTCT Level 2 Beauty Therapy
  • CIDESCO Diploma
  • CIBTAC Diploma

Therapists who hold qualifications not listed above or obtained abroad will need either to undertake a suitable course as listed above or apply for UK comparison through an organisation such as UK NARIC.

In addition, we may require any products or equipment specific training by the manufacturers or producers, if applicable.

Transfer of special treatment licence

The licence is personal to its holder. The procedure for transferring a licence is the same as applying for the grant of a new licence.

Surrender of special treatment licence

A licence must be surrendered to the council when the ownership of the business changes. The new owner must apply for their own licence.

They may not offer or administer any licensable treatments until a new licence has been granted.

The outgoing licensee is entitled to a refund of their licence fee minus an administration fee (currently £150).