You will need to apply for a licence under the London Local Authorities Act 1991 as amended if you own or manage premises offering any of the following treatments, unless you can claim an exemption:
- nail extensions
- body piercing
- cosmetic piercing
- other special treatments such as sun beds, vapour, laser, sauna or other baths
To see whether you need a licence to provide a particular type of treatment please view our checklist.
A licence is not needed if the treatments are given:
- without gain or reward – all treatments provided for free or donation
- without premises used – mobile service from a vehicle or in clients’ own homes
- for treatments done by or under the supervision of medical practitioners, dentists and professions supplementary to medicine
- in a hospital or nursing home
- for treatments done by or under the supervision of a person who is a member of a body of health practitioners approved for exemption by the council. View the full list.
If you do not need a licence, you still need to comply with the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and allied regulations.
Licences are granted for a maximum period of twelve months. We have standard conditions which are applied to every licence granted.
In some cases additional special conditions may be imposed. It may take up to 6 weeks for a licence to be issued providing no objections have been received.
What if my licence is due to or has expired?
All licences must be renewed before their date of expiry.