Best Bar None is an annual award scheme which started in Manchester in 2003. The aim of the scheme is to reward best practice and safe licensed venues while providing a means for the police and local authority to work in a positive partnership with the licensed trade.
In doing so, it reduces crime and disorder associated with alcohol consumption in the area thus promoting bars and clubs as a safe environment in which to socialise.
The scheme is voluntary – premises can decide whether to take part or not, and there is no penalty for not taking part.
The scheme has proved successful and is now being adopted in more than thirty areas in the UK.
It is also now recognised as a standard of excellence by the hospitality industry and government.
Harrow Best Bar None scheme is led by the council, the Metropolitan Police and Harrow BID, working in partnership with the private sector to develop safe and secure pubs, clubs and restaurants.
A key part of the scheme involves a team of assessors visiting licensed establishments to scrutinise their commitment to safety, security and customer welfare.
Each venue has to satisfy the assessors they have robust procedures in areas such as fire safety, drug prevention, noise controls and staff training.
2018 award winners:
- Participating Venues: Masons Arms, Maya Pub, Vintage Wine Bar, New Moon and The Catch Fish & Chip Restaurant
- Accredited Venues: The Moon & Sixpence and The Castle
- Best Independent Bar: The Queens Head, Pinner
- Best Small Bar: Beer Asylum, Pinner
- Best Late Night Venue: The Star, South Harrow
- Best Town Centre Restaurant: The Moon on the Hill, Harrow
- Valuable Contribution to Harrow Best Bar None: Trinity, Harrow
- Best Town Centre Pub: Royal Oak, Harrow
- Best Managed Pub: Royal Oak, Harrow
- Best Overall Venue: Royal Oak, Harrow
Thirteen pubs have proved they are up to the mark and are now officially accredited as amongst the Best Bar None nationally:
- The Royal Oak, Harrow
- The Harrow, Harrow
- Trinity, Harrow
- The Queens Head, Pinner
- The Village Inn, Rayners Lane
- The Moon on the Hill, Harrow
- The Junction, Harrow
- Sync, Pinner Green
- The Pinner Arms, Pinner
- The Castle, Harrow-on-the-Hill
- The Star, South Harrow
- Vintage Wine Bar, Pinner
How are they assessed?
Commercial Licensing TeamAddress: Harrow Council Hub
Forward Drive, Harrow