Service charges and ground rent

Service charge enquiries

You receive an annual service charge bill. In accordance with your lease this is a contribution all leaseholders must pay. It covers maintainance and services for communal areas of the building, which are provided by the council as the landlord. Examples include:

  • cleaning of the communal windows
  • caretaking services
  • ground maintenance
  • insurance
  • minor estate improvements
  • communal electricity and gas

If you have a query on your bill please read our FAQs below. If this has not resolved your enquiry please contact us using the details at the bottom of this page.

When do I have to pay my service charge bill?

 Under the terms of your lease payment is due within 28 days of the invoice date.

What should I do if I cannot afford to pay my service charge?

For details of what to do see Service Charge Arrears

I do not agree with an element of charge on my service charge bill, how do I log a dispute?

Contact us via the details at the bottom of this page. Be sure to provide us with details of the specific charge you are disputing, within 28 days of the invoice date. In order to investigate your enquiry you must provide information of the specific date/s when you feel the service was not provided. This information will be passed to the relevant service manager for investigation. They will inform the Leasehold Team whether the service was below standard and if so, authorize a pro rata refund. Refunds are issued with a credit to your service charge account within 10 working days of receiving the information. While your enquiry is being investigated you must pay the other areas of your bill which are not in dispute. Failure to do so may result in debt recovery action being taken against you.

Why has my service charge has increased from last year?

Some costs have increased this year. In addition the Council has improved its budgeting process. This has identified more costs that are legally due to be recovered from leaseholders under the terms of the lease.

Why do I have to pay a Management Fee?

This covers the cost of running the Leasehold Team, including:

  • responding to enquiries regarding the lease
  • dealing with lease breaches such as water leaks
  • calculating the service charge
  • resolving disputes.

Why do I have to pay for Minor Estate Works? 

This charge is for Minor Improvement works carried out to your estate. Those works are done in consultation with tenants and leaseholders. This can include the installation of fences, notice boards or overhauling bin areas.

I have a credit balance on my service charge account what should I do?

You should deduct the credit balance from the amount on your service charge bill and pay the balance remaining.

Can I have the credit balance on my service charge account refunded?

If you have a credit balance on your service charge account after paying this year’s service charge bill you may ask for a refund. You should put your request in writing to the Leasehold Team via the contact details at the bottom of this page.

Submit an enquiry

If you have a query that has not been answered above, please submit an enquiry below

Submit a leaseholder enquiry