Report a home repair

Rechargeable repairs

We expect all tenants who rent a property from the council to take responsibility to ensure they or their visitors do not damage or misuse the property. We expect the property to be returned to us in a good clean condition with no rubbish. If isn't returned to us in a reasonable condition, you may be charged for the costs of the works.

What is a rechargeable repair?

If you, your family or friends cause damage to your property, you must repair the damage or we may charge you to have the property repaired. If there is criminal damage you will need to provide us with a crime reference number.

The following are examples of rechargeable repairs:

  • gaining access to your property due to lost or forgotten keys
  • repairs required as a result of damage from yourself, household members or visitors
  • damage caused by leaks from washing machines or your own appliances or fittings
  • blocked drains, toilets, sinks, baths, washing machines etc (unless blockage caused by blocked drain)
  • broken glazing

What if I lose my house keys?

To avoid problems arising from loss of keys we strongly recommend that you leave a spare set of keys with family, friends or neighbours. If you lose your keys or get locked out you will be charged for any costs associated with gaining access to your home. If you do call us to attend a lock out we will attend as soon as possible, however you may have to wait for this service as any other emergency repairs will be dealt with before dealing with lock outs.

Are my repairs covered by insurance?

Some rechargeable repairs may be covered under home contents insurance. Premiums start from 38p per week and there is no increase in premium if you make a claim.  For further information see Home Contents Insurance for Council Tenants.